It is not just today that people have developed the desire to smell nice. People from all walks of life, even from medieval times. As such, kings were known to bathe and wear fragrances before starting the day.
Perfumes have become more popular than ever, especially among women (say millennials). Men, too, are included, especially those who work in the formal sector. To paraphrase the words of Shakira, “A good fragrance is meant to possess a specific personality that makes people identify the scent with you.”
Speaking of perfumes, the new ones on the market might get some buzz, but they usually can’t beat the tried-and-true classics. These iconic scents from well-known designers are the ones that tend to dominate the bestsellers list.
Read on to discover the five best-selling perfumes of all time. No matter which one at the end you choose to join its number of buyers (or best-buyers?), you can be sure that you’ll experience a delightful and unforgettable fragrance and enjoy every moment of it.
#1. Chanel N°5 Eau de Parfum
Chanel N°5 isn’t just a perfume; it’s a legendary scent that’s renowned worldwide and one of the best-selling fragrances ever. You can grab a bottle for around $130 on Amazon. The magical perfume is perfect for those special moments such as weddings or when you get your crush on a date. With its delightful blend of citrus, jasmine, and rose notes, it’s a timeless classic.
With a legacy that cuts across a century, this powdery floral masterpiece is made by blending more than eighty ingredients that include but are not limited to Ylang-ylang, Rose centifolia, and Jasmine. Your skin will never let go as you would be feeling luxurious.
Chanel N°5 became famous in 1952 when Marilyn Monroe revealed that she would wear five drops of this perfume to bed every night. As a result, Chanel N°5 became very popular, making it the most celebrated perfume worldwide.
According to reports, a bottle of Chanel N°5 is sold every 30 seconds. And in 2017, the perfume shop disclosed that it had been the top-selling fragrance for more than 25 years, as stated by Mailonline.
- Launch Year: 1921.
- Ideal For: This classic fragrance has a soft, floral aroma ideal for everyday use or special events. A gift your wife or girlfriend would appreciate.
- Sales Record: A bottle is sold every 30 seconds.
- Signature Scent Notes: Unique blend of aldehydes and florals including rose and jasmine.
- Onto The Reviews: A happy customer said, “This is a perfume I fell in love with in my 20s. It has such an alluring, clean, come-to-me smell. It’s one I only wear on special occasions. But again you’re out of stock. So a lot of people must love it.”
#2. The Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia Cologne
This amazing fragrance stands out as an earthly scent, priced at about $10 for a trial size on Amazon and the real deal around $50 at Nordstrom. It’s a standout choice among Jo Malone’s collection, earning praise from trendsetter Sofia Richie Grainge. With its unique blend of Mellow William Pear, subtle freesia, and base notes of patchouli, this scent offers a distinct aroma that lasts all day.
This English Pear and Freesia cologne offers a unique blend of ingredients. It captures the fresh and elegant essence the brand is known for. One whiff, and you’ll feel like you’re strolling through an English orchard.
- Launch Year: 2010.
- Ideal For: From spring to autumn, perfect for afternoons and early evenings.
- Signature Scent Notes: Refreshing Williams pear, followed by delicate freesia and anchored by warm base notes of patchouli, amber, and woods.
- Onto The Reviews: Jessica, a buyer on Amazon, said, “If you’re looking for the dupe for the Barbie perfume from 1994 like I was, this is it for like a minute. Then it fades and goes very floral…”
#3. Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Toilette
Marc Jacobs Eau de Toilette is many people’s favorite scent for spring. This classic perfume first made waves in 2007 with an ad campaign that radiated a carefree vibe. Many people appreciated the simplicity and purity of the ad, which made it stand out from other perfume commercials. Its iconic bottle, topped with a playful daisy, quickly became a sensation, inspiring countless imitations.
For Kaia Gerber, daughter of Cindy Crawford, this fragrance has held a special place in her heart since her teenage years. In 2020, she shared that putting on Daisy brings back wonderful memories and instantly lifts her mood.
As the face of the fragrance for many years, Kaia has graced TV ads and campaigns, adding to the allure of this beloved and top-selling perfume.
- Launch Year: 2007.
- Ideal For: The spring season.
- Sales Record: Roughly $300 million in retail sales annually.
- Signature Scent Notes: Vibrant aroma of wild berries, then unfolds into a delicate blend of white violet and jasmine at its heart before settling into a comforting base of sandalwood.
- Onto The Reviews: “So my husband bought this for me. Somehow he wanted to order from Amazon (I usually go to Sephora). I was worried it would be fake. It isn’t fake, and it smells so good,” an Amazon customer said.
#4. Dior J’adore Eau de Parfum
If you seek the perfect pick for a charming special date night, this perfume is ideal, especially for women. Dior J’adore, introduced in 1999, won the prestigious FIFI Award for Best National Advertising Campaign in 2007. This recognition greatly contributed to its widespread appeal. It was able to enchant countless hearts around the world. The charming fragrance is also described as the bouquet of the most beautiful flowers.
This fragrance combines floral and fruity scents seamlessly. It starts with the sweet and floral note of Ylang-ylang, followed by a luxurious mix of Damascus Rose and Jasmine. The base note adds depth with Indian Jasmine Sambac.
Simply put, the lovely mix of the fragrances mentioned above makes this fragrance rich and mature to last for long hours. It will definitely add a touch of sunshine even on your gloomiest days.
- Launch Year: 1999.
- Ideal For: Garden parties, picnics and other daytime gatherings.
- Sales Record: As of December 2022, Dior’s global sales of perfumes and cosmetics reached a staggering 7.7 billion euros. Just consider the popularity of J’adore, and you’ll get your answer.
- Signature Scent Notes: Ylang-ylang essence sourced from the Comoro Islands, Jasmine and Damascus Rose.
- Onto The Reviews: umlupita, another happy customer, said, “It is sweet and floral without being overwhelming. Florals aren’t a favorite scent of mine, but this perfume tones them down in a way that I personally enjoy. I have received compliments when wearing it, and the scent is long lasting. Out of all the floral leaning perfumes I have tried, this is my favorite.”
#5. Gorgio Amani Si Eau de Parfum
Giorgio Armani Si Eau de parfum is the perfect companion for summer escapades. This one was launched in 2013. The delightful scent, characterized as intense, voluptuous, and soft, leaves a sweet and lingering essence behind due to its elegant and distinguished fragrance.
The best part is that one spray can last nearly a full day. Any lady will feel she is a big woman, allowing her to express every emotion while getting noticed in every environment.
This distinguished fragrance is not confined to a particular age group, generation, or trend, as it comfortably suits people, especially ladies of all ages.
Christine Nagel is the nose behind this fragrance.
Giorgio Armani Si is the perfect choice for the modern woman, the ultimate sophisticated but charismatic fragrance that plays with emotions. If you are that woman who says Yes to life and to herself, fortitude, freedom, dreams, and love, this is the go-to fragrance.
The position Giorgio Armani Si holds in the hearts of perfume enthusiasts, and experts solidifies its status as one of the top-selling perfumes.
- Launch Year: 2013.
- Ideal For: Workdays or incorporating into your daily routine for that extra touch of sophistication.
- Signature Scent Notes: This perfume’s standout notes include blackcurrant nectar, freesia, Rose of Mai, and a musky blond wood base.
- Onto The Reviews: “This scent is sophisticated and feminine, and it lasts all day for me. It starts off warm and slightly sweet, evolves to a musk, and dries down to a vanilla - on my skin. Perfume is a very personal experience and will be different for everyone. This is a nice, sexy perfume for the price,” Emilie, an Amazon customer, said.
At the Base Note
You know that saying “nothing lasts forever” or “good things don’t last forever”? Well, these best-selling perfumes seem to have missed the memo! Just look at how they’ve defied the odds, staying at the top of their game for years, some even over 20 years.
With all these amazing options, you really can’t go wrong. Each perfume has its own special charm and story to tell. And hey, if one scent isn’t quite your thing, don’t worry. There are plenty more to try until you find the perfect match for your body chemistry. So keep on sniffing and exploring — you’re bound to find your perfect scent eventually.
What is the most popular perfume globally?
Identifying the most popular perfume worldwide is subjective, yet Chanel N°5 is commonly acknowledged as holding that status.
How does Eau de Parfum differ from Eau de Toilette?
The distinction between eau de parfum and eau de toilette lies in their perfume oil concentrations. Eau de toilette usually contains 5% to 15% perfume oil, while Eau de parfum has a higher concentration, ranging from 15% to 18%. A greater oil content results in a more potent and enduring fragrance, making eau de parfum the favored option for those desiring prolonged staying power.